What is product information management (PIM) and what are the benefits?
PIM stands for product information management. By introducing a PIM system, you create a central location for any and all information, specifications and files such as images and videos regarding your products. The processes for the uniform delivery of this information to different channels become much simpler and faster. This in turn dramatically increases the data quality.
As well as efficient product information processes, companies also benefit from other advantages of a PIM system:
- First-class product experience
- Shorter time to market
- Omnichannel marketing
- Higher conversion rates
- Fewer returned goods
- Simple expansion of the product portfolio
- Opening up new markets
How does PIM work and why is it so important?
The quality of product information is paramount, especially in the digital age, as it is easier than ever before for customers to obtain information. Incomplete or, even worse, incorrect product data raises doubts in customers’ minds and may lead to them choosing a different supplier.
Despite the extensive options that today’s PIM systems offer, the delivery of appropriate and compelling product information is a major and time-consuming challenge for many companies. In many cases, product data are edited in a decentralized fashion using a range of different tools. This can be avoided. Here is a quick summary of how a PIM system works.
- The product information is integrated into the centralized PIM solution from the various internal and external sources (e.g. ERP system, Excel and product databases).
- In the PIM system, product managers, marketeers, e-commerce and channel managers and others manage, classify and categorize the product data. They can also enrich and localize them.
- Rules and processes are set up to simplify data management. The accountabilities for status, changes and quality become transparent.
- The enriched and processed data are then automatically delivered to the various platforms and channels (for example e-commerce, marketplace, print catalogues, points of sale or apps).
One product information management system can be used for different types of information, ranging from technical data to user details and emotional information, such as comprehensive product descriptions, stories and images.
Why does a PIM solution add value?
Many companies still manage their contents in various Excel and Word files. This makes it almost impossible to abide by data governance protocols or programs relating to products.
Management and distribution of product data becomes a costly matter: Channels and relevant roles do not have simple access to information. As a consequence, the time to market for products is long: That is the time it takes until a product actually becomes available.
In some cases, companies do use PIM systems, but often they do not offer the necessary flexibility and are difficult to use.
The solution with Akeneo PIM or with the SAP Commerce Cloud PCM
- You get to focus on content and quality instead of processes.
- Motivation to keep contents up to date is significantly increased.
- Time to market is shorter for products.
- Marketing and sales can start earlier.
Our offering for your new PIM system
Unic can guide you through the launch and ongoing development of your PIM system, ensuring that you can capitalize on the added value within a short time.
Profit from our expertise in the field of product experience management – including the initial design, selection and implementation of the right software tools and the successful launch and rollout in your company.
Unic implemented the new B2B commerce solution for the timber trader Kuratle & Jaecker. We provide consulting services and are in charge of designing and implementing as well as hosting and operating the new website. Akeneo (PIM), Magento 2 and proLine B2B (online shop), and priint:comet (print catalog) were used to implement the technical features.
We will seamlessly accompany you in your project from the initial idea to the project stable operation.
How the buying experience of your customers becomes a positive experience.